We, the Diversity and Inclusion committee of the Neurobiology department, are working on a project to shine a light on experiences of power dynamics and the climate on campus. Our inspiration comes from a video that the NC ELCA Synod published several years ago, in which male pastors read offensive comments made to female pastors in their community. If you are interested in sharing your story, please describe your experience in the box below, leaving out any identifying aspects that you wish. We will use stories we receive to produce our own video, with narratives voiced by leaders from our community. While the video that inspired us specifically addresses the experience of women, we would like to define power and climate issues much more broadly; if you have a story that highlights a feature of our climate that has been challenging for you – we hope you’ll share it. Our hope is to offer a powerful means by which we can share stories of harm, whether it was caused by intent or ignorance.
What happens once you hit the submit button below: The text you have entered into the box is anonymously sent through a masked IP address to the Neurobiology D&I committee email inbox, with access limited to only Dr. Anita Disney. This also means there is no way to reply to submissions.
A couple of important matters:
- This is not a reporting mechanism. If you need assistance with addressing issues of harassment, bullying, or other concerns about the climate in our workplace, please contact one of the resources here.
- This is an inherently anonymous mechanism. We will make no attempt to identify you or those involved in your stories.
- If you choose provide identifying details for you or the parties involved, Anita will endeavor to remove this identifying information before passing the narrative on to the video team (Stuart Behling, Juliane Krueger, Gelana Tostaeva).
- We will use as many of the narratives we receive as possible, but we cannot commit to use them all.
- Other than shortening longer narratives and removing identifying details, we will not edit the stories we receive.